Sunday, August 16, 2009

Starting to think about Autumn


Fall is by far my favorite season. Not that we have seasons here in Los Angeles, but I love the feeling of returning some place - a little older/wiser, armed with new supplies (no.2 pencils have now been replaced by eyeliner) and new shoes (fashionable to functional, but preferably both, but in a pinch the former).

I have become accustomed to planning a "look" for the coming seasons. Not that I follow it to a T, but it serves more of a visual inspiration for me. This summer was Bardot - with her lined eyes, full nude lips and tousled bun (I attempted volume at the roots, but lazily resorted to volumizing spray).

Traditionally for Fall, I go ladylike. And for most of my adult life, I've preferred a sophisticated school marm look with traces of femme fatale - oh the befuddling dichotomy. Although in this economy, it's more sensible to be a boho blouse, skinny jean wearing girl with super high boots or a nice Rachel Comey clog, but I suppose that's why we indulge in fantasy. Aspiration inspires motivation.

For the upcoming season, my style icon is Jean Harlow. Her hair is like a halo of rippled of white gold, her brows, barely perceptible, carry her look over to: unlike mere mortals territory, and her crimson lips are forbidden fruit.

Without further ado, here are some of the images littering my inspiration board for Fall 09. XOXO.

It all starts with an alluring air: Le Labo Rose 31, a rose scent tempered with woodsyness and spice.



Vivid conversation ensues: Lip colors such as Nars Heatwave, MAC Red She Said or Lipstick Queen Red Sinner would be very engaging.




Demonstrative fingers: Chanel Vendetta


An exit strategy: YSL Imperiale Pumps (Saks Fifth Avenue)



Image of Jean Harlow from Classic Actresses


No comments:

Post a Comment