Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One Year Ago Today...


My Astrologyzone forecast warned me about September 15, 2008 - that something was going to happen for which I couldn't have prepared.

That day, er...morning, riding my bike to work, I broke my leg! (my right Tibial Plateau to be exact)

Friends know it changed my life in ways that I couldn't have predicted.

The experience reminded me of the excitements of sponge baths, justification for elevating my leg while on the job, bumming rides off my beau, waitress at IHOP jokes, carrying anything while wielding crutches, sexy leg braces that resembled a plush dominatrix contraption, wearing flats with more frequency than I can remember, toned arms (thanks to the crutches), watching my right leg whittle away to model proportions (exhilarating!), that cities are not built for people with disabilities, how I needed to pare back on social engagements and really focus on the ones that mattered and the joys of Blockbuster (or Netflix) nights!

I received a lot concerned looks and inquiries at my temporary state. I didn't milk it as well as I should have. I didn't cherish my knees before, which will never match again, as I should have. I had pretty cute knees back then.

I thank my lucky stars that I came out of the accident with the injury I had, I know it could have been so much worse.

One of the first questions I tearfully asked my surgeon was "Will I be able to wear heels again?" He looked at me sternly and said "I think walking is the first priority."

I almost forgot about that. Humility was another thing I learned from that experience.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment