Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Definitely a fan of: Baked NYC (+unintentional commentary)



I was recently flipping through the latest Food & Wine in search of Thanksgiving deliciousness and came across an article featuring the founders/owners of Baked, a Brooklyn bake shop featuring twists on the classic. A sampling of the scrumptious treats that come out of their ovens: "Coffee" Cake, Aunt Sassy's Pistachio Surprise and the omnipresent cupcake (I can never say no to one), to name a few.






I was even more intrigued by the fact that the owners actually met while working in advertising. Which brings to mind a quote by Banksy (shared with me yesterday by SNO Executive Creative Director: Florencio Zavala):
"
The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little."

Not very positive, I know. And I can't say I wholly agree, but I do like how he refers to advertising and the glut of bright and talented people working in the industry. I've always felt like advertising provided structure for creatives to thrive and dream bigger, eventually providing the experience and know-how to make their real creative passions come true, like these guys at Baked.

It's a lovely thing when our world is the recipient of another great idea, come to life. XO

1 comment: