Thursday, December 17, 2009

"A Room With A View" Revisited



As a teenager, E.M. Forster's novels were the start of my love for British Literature.

So when I first read "A Room With A View" and then watched the Merchant Ivory film, it actually inspired the things I chose to do and seek out, at the time - such as practicing my penmanship, classical music, spending more time playing my piano and learning more about Victorian and Edwardian culture, even how I interacted with my friends. Oh my, how impressionable I was!

It was on television this past weekend so of course I had to stop and watch! I was delighted to find that I still had the same affinity for the movie, although, now I can view it as a moment in time, versus a map for how life plays itself out. Although the costumes and niceties really do make me wish I could at least visit be a visitor. XO




1 comment:

  1. Love this movie (I really should get the book, too). I'm the same way, kind of getting maybe a little too involved in the world of characters in great literature (I'm a total sucker for Jane Austen). There are actually groups here in LA that do period tea parties and balls and such. It's fun to step into that for a moment and then be able to go home and get out of your corset and into your sweats. :)

    ReplyDelete